Navapashanam: The Quest for the Nine Magical Poisons | Book Review

 Review of Nitya Neelakantan's book - Navapashanam: The Quest for the Nine Magical Poisons.



  • Title -Navapashanam: The Quest for the Nine Magical Poisons
  • Author- Nitya Neelakantan
  • Year published – 11 December 2023
  • Publisher - Readomania
  • Pages - 240
  • Genre – Fiction / Thriller / Mystery
  • Format - Paperback

Two women…two hundred years apart. A story of magical healing, hidden treasure, betrayal, and murder. Mookambikai, the secret keeper of the Navapashanam, is being hunted and persecuted by nefarious factions until her trail goes cold after a confrontation with the vilest Aghora who wants the Navapashanam. 200 years later, Mookambika’s great grandniece, Manimeghalai aka Megha, finds herself entangled in a maelstrom of events involving dark elements who are still on the hunt for the Navapashanam. Amidstnear fatal accidents, an increasing count of dead bodies, and a missing fiancé, Megha, is pushed into looking for the lost Navapashanam. Will she find what she desperately seeks? Are Mookambikai’s and Megha’s destiny entwined? Will Megha save the day? Navapashanam takes you on a fascinating journey of passion and intrigue.



Book #22 of 2024

Rating – 5 stars

The intriguing blurb caught my attention and as I read on, I'm thrilled to say it exceeded my expectations! With a title like "Navapashanam" - a substance shrouded in mystery and legend - I knew I was in for a thrilling ride.

The narrative seamlessly transitions between the late 1700s and the present day, leaving each chapter on a gripping cliffhanger. I found myself eagerly devouring each period's storyline, unable to tear myself away. I finished this book in a single sitting within a couple of hours.

The fast-paced narration kept me engrossed until the very last page, with the author skillfully weaving together fact and fiction. References to real-life landmarks like the Murugan idol at Palani and many more such places lent an air of authenticity to the story, despite the storyline being fictional,

Furthermore, the incorporation of Tamil language and culture added depth and richness to the narrative, making it feel more immersive and true to its roots. The footnotes providing explanations and meanings of the Tamil words used are a plus as they are certainly beneficial for readers who are new to the language.

The characters, particularly Megha and her cousin, captured my heart, while the revelation of Chandran's true nature took me by surprise. Saravanan's motives kept me guessing, and I found myself despising the character of Chakri. Mookambikai instantly won my heart with her gentle demeanor and unwavering dedication to safeguarding the Navapashanam. Her selflessness and willingness to make sacrifices for the greater good left a lasting impression on me. On the other hand, Sambu, the village doctor, failed to earn my admiration. His actions and demeanor were off-putting, and I found myself disliking his character as the story unfolded.


Even now, a week after finishing the book, the characters and their stories linger in my mind. This fast-paced thriller, with its blend of history and suspense, kept me on the edge of my seat throughout. Without a doubt, I give it a well-deserved 5/5 stars for its gripping storyline and unforgettable characters.

Until the next post....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Challenges for 2016

The Official 2018 TBR Pile Challenge