When Does a Book Collection Become a Library?
I have often asked myself this question...At what point does a collection of books stop being a collection and become a library?
It started with one book at a time. My collection didn't begin with a plan to build a library. There was no grand decision to collect a particular number of books or create a home library. There were simply books I wanted to read.
Anyways, back to the topic...There is a point when you realise that your books aren't just sitting on a shelf anymore.
But are all these books a library?
The unread books have a place too
Every book has a story. What makes my collection special to me isn't really the number 2,000+. It is the stories behind those books. There are books that remind me of particular periods of my life. There are books I bought decades ago and still have. There are books I found at book fairs. There are books that came home because someone recommended them. Some gifts carry the memory of the person who gave them. There are review copies that remind me of my years as a reviewer. And then there are the completely random purchases, the books I wasn't looking for at all but somehow couldn't leave behind.
So, do I have a collection or a library?
Is there a magic number? 100 books? 500? 1,000?
Or does it happen when you have to pause before answering the question, “Do I have this book?” because you know you probably do, you just aren't sure where it is?
With more than 2,000 books at home, I suppose I should have figured this out by now.
But I haven't.
I still think of myself as someone who loves collecting books. I still get excited when a new book arrives. I still browse bookshops and book fairs knowing perfectly well that there are plenty of unread books waiting at home. And I still occasionally come across a book on my own shelf and wonder, when did I get this?
Perhaps that is what makes the question interesting.
A book bought because I had read about it somewhere. A book recommended by someone. A book I picked up at a book fair. A book I bought because the cover caught my eye. A book gifted to me. A book I couldn't leave behind... The list goes on.
And then there are the review copies. As a book reviewer, books started arriving at home for an entirely different reason. Some were books I had actively chosen to read and review. Others arrived unexpectedly. Some became favourites; some didn't. But they all became part of the growing collection.
But this turned out to be the perfect cover for my ever-growing book collection. No one at home really minded the books coming in, and any new additions could conveniently be passed off as review copies!
And then there were the books I bought even though I already had a perfectly respectable pile waiting to be read. That pile, of course, never remained respectable for long. It grew. And grew. And somehow became 2,000+ books. And then the collection started taking over the house. At one point, the husband even felt that the books deserved a separate house of their own! Somehow, I felt that sounded like the best idea ever. Just me and the books in a house! Heaven!!
They are everywhere. There are shelves filled with books, stacks of books, books waiting to be arranged, books waiting to be read and, occasionally, books waiting to be found. Some books still with the wrapping, some still in courier cover they came in !!
And then I started organising. At first, it is simple enough. This book goes here. Those books go together. These are review copies. These are old favourites. These are books I haven't read yet. And that's when I realise that I need a better system.
Because when you have hundreds of books, remembering that you own a particular title is one thing. Finding it is another. That, perhaps, is one of the first signs that a collection is becoming something more.
That's where I get stuck. A library, to me, isn't simply a place with a large number of books. It is a place where books are meant to be read, explored, revisited, and shared.
And that makes my collection feel a little more like a library. My books aren't just sitting there for decoration. Some have been read and reread. Some have been reviewed. Some have been recommended to friends. Some have been borrowed by family members. Some are books I bought years ago and still haven't read. Some are books I know I will probably never read—but I still don't want to part with them. And some are simply there because they are part of my reading history.
With 2,000+ books, there are obviously far more unread books than I would like to admit. But I've stopped looking at an unread book as something that represents a failure to read. An unread book is a possibility. It is a story I haven't encountered yet. It is a subject I may suddenly become interested in. It is a book waiting for the right mood, the right season, or simply the right moment. Sometimes, years after buying a book, I finally pick it up and wonder why I waited so long. And sometimes it continues to wait. That's okay too.
A library is not expected to have every book read. It exists partly because books are waiting to be discovered.
When I look at my shelves, I don't see 2,000+ individual objects. I see pieces of my reading life. A collection becomes a library when it becomes part of your life. Perhaps that is my answer to the question.
A collection doesn't become a library simply because it reaches a particular number. It happens gradually. It happens when you start organising your books. When you know which shelf to look at.
When someone asks for a recommendation, and you can immediately think of three books. When a family member comes looking for something on your shelves, when you discover an old favourite and decide to read it again, when a book you bought years ago suddenly becomes exactly the book you need today. And perhaps most importantly, when the books become part of the life of the home.
I still don't know. Maybe I have a very large book collection. Maybe I have a personal library. Maybe it is both.
The collector in me is still thrilled by a new addition. The reader in me still has an ever-growing TBR. The reviewer in me has books waiting to be read and reviewed. And the book lover in me still believes that there is always room for one more.
But after more than 2,000 books, I think I can safely say that these are no longer just books I've accumulated. They have become a part of my home, my reading journey and, in many ways, my life.
So perhaps the question isn't really “When does a book collection become a library?”
Perhaps the better question is:
“When does a house full of books become a home full of stories?”
Maybe mine crossed that line a long time ago.
***********
This post is part of the Blogchatter Half Marathon 2026 – Version 2.0, where I'll share seven posts between September 15th and September 30th.
No comments:
Post a Comment